For the purpose of this article, the following terms shall have the respective
meanings ascribed to them in this section:
(1) PERSON. Any individual, firm, company, partnership, association, corporation,
receiver or trustee, or any other group or combination acting as a unit,
and the plural as well as the singular number.
(2) DEPARTMENT. The Department of Revenue of the State of Alabama.
(3) COMMISSIONER. The Commissioner of Revenue of the State of Alabama.
(4) STORAGE. Any keeping or retention in this state for any purpose except
sale in the regular course of business or subsequent use solely outside
this state of the commodities subject to the provisions of this article.
(5) USE. The exercise of any right or power over the commodities subject
to the provisions of this article, incident to the ownership of those
commodities or by any transaction where possession is given; except, that
it shall not include the sale of those commodities in the regular course
(6) IN THIS STATE. Within the exterior limits of the State of Alabama,
and includes all territory within such limits owned by or ceded to the
United States of America.
(7) TOBACCO PRODUCT. Cigars, cheroots, stogies, cigarettes, smoking tobacco,
chewing tobacco, snuff or tobacco in any form or condition or any substitute therefor.
(8) RETAIL SALE or SALE AT RETAIL. All sales except sales by wholesalers
to licensed retail dealers or other wholesalers for resale.
(9) REGISTERED TAXPAYER. Any person who purchases tobacco products subject
to the tax imposed by this article and who has been registered by the
department as a responsible taxpayer.
(Acts 1939, No. 409, p. 538; Code 1940, T. 51, §744; Acts 1953, No.
747, p. 1009.)