57-36-27. Consumer's use tax--Cigarettes--Reports--Remittances
1. A tax is hereby imposed upon the use or storage by consumers of cigarettes in this state, and upon such consumers, at the following rates:
a. On cigarettes weighing not more than three pounds [1360.78 grams] per thousand, five mills on each such cigarette.
b. On cigarettes weighing more than three pounds [1360.78 grams] per thousand, five and one-half mills on each such cigarette.
2. This tax does not apply if the tax imposed by section 57-36-06 has been paid.
3. On or before the tenth day of each calendar quarter, every consumer who during the preceding calendar quarter has acquired title or possession of cigarettes for use or storage in this state, upon which cigarettes the tax imposed by section 57-36-06 has not been paid, shall file a return with the tax commissioner showing the quantity of cigarettes so acquired. The return must be made upon a form furnished and prescribed by the tax commissioner and must contain such other information as the tax commissioner may require. The return must be accompanied by a remittance for the full unpaid tax liability shown by it.
4. As soon as practicable after any return is filed, the tax commissioner shall examine the return and correct it, if necessary, according to the tax commissioner's best judgment and information.
5. In case any consumer required to pay the tax levied by this section fails to file a return or remit the tax as herein required, the tax commissioner has the authority to make an assessment of tax against the consumer according to the commissioner's best judgment and information.
6. All of the provisions of this chapter relating to corrections of returns, deficiency assessments, protests thereto, hearings thereon, interest and penalties, and collections of taxes are applicable to consumers under this section in like manner as though set out in full herein.