16-11-131. Transporting tobacco products without compliance a misdemeanor--invoices and delivery tickets required--stop and inspection authorized
(1) It is unlawful for a person to transport into, receive, carry, or move from place to place within this state, except in the course of interstate commerce, any tobacco products that do not comply with the requirements of this chapter.
(2)(a) When transporting unstamped cigarettes or roll-your-own tobacco, a person shall possess invoices or delivery tickets for the cigarettes or roll-your-own tobacco that show the name and address of the consignor or seller, the name of the consignee or purchaser, and the quantity and brands of the cigarettes or roll-your-own tobacco being transported.
(b) The cigarettes or roll-your-own tobacco transported are contraband and are subject to seizure, forfeiture, destruction, and sale as provided in 16-11-141 , 16-11-147 , 16-11-158 , 16-11-159 , 16-11-509 , and this section if:
(i) there are no invoices or delivery tickets;
(ii) the name or address of the consignee or purchaser is falsified;
(iii) the consignee or purchaser is not authorized to possess unstamped cigarettes or roll-your-own tobacco; or
(iv) the cigarettes or roll-your-own tobacco are intended for sale in this state and are not on the directory.
(3) Transportation of cigarettes or roll-your-own tobacco from a point outside the state to a point in another state is not a violation of this section if the person transporting the unstamped cigarettes or cigarettes or roll-your-own tobacco that is not on the directory possesses adequate invoices or delivery tickets that give the name and address of the out-of-state consignor or seller and the out-of-state consignee or purchaser.
(4) If the department, its authorized agent, the department of justice, or a peace officer of the state has knowledge or reasonable grounds to believe that a vehicle is transporting tobacco products in violation of this chapter, the department, its agent, the department of justice, or a peace officer may stop and inspect the vehicle.
(5) When a person engaged in the business of selling tobacco products ships or causes to be shipped any tobacco products to any person in this state that are not in the tobacco product manufacturer's original container or wrapping, the container or wrapping must be plainly and visibly marked with the words “tobacco products”.
(6) A person violating the provisions of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and is subject to the penalties in 16-11-148 .