As used in this article, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) “Department” means the department of revenue.
(1.5) “Distributing subcontractor” means every person, firm, limited liability company, partnership, or corporation who purchases tobacco products from a distributor for resale to a retailer in this state.
(2) “Distributor” means every person who first receives tobacco products in this state, every person who sells tobacco products in this state who is primarily liable for the tobacco products tax on such products, and every person who first sells or offers for sale in this state tobacco products imported into this state from any other state or country.
(3) “Manufacturer's list price” means the invoice price for which a manufacturer or supplier sells a tobacco product to a distributor exclusive of any discount or other reduction.
(4) “Sale” means any transfer, exchange, or barter, in any manner or by any means whatsoever, for a consideration, including all sales made by any person. The term includes a gift by a person engaged in the business of selling tobacco products, for advertising, as a means of evading the provisions of this article or for any other purposes whatsoever.
(5) “Tobacco products” means cigars, cheroots, stogies, periques, granulated, plug cut, crimp cut, ready rubbed, and other smoking tobacco, snuff, snuff flour, cavendish, plug and twist tobacco, fine-cut and other chewing tobaccos, shorts, refuse scraps, clippings, cuttings and sweepings of tobacco, and other kinds and forms of tobacco, prepared in such manner as to be suitable for chewing or for smoking in a pipe or otherwise, or both for chewing and smoking, but does not include cigarettes which are taxed separately pursuant to article 28 of this title.